Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search Of

While watching “Filter Bubbles” it was interesting to find out that when you search for something on a web site like Google, it looks at 57 different signals and tailors the results based on other connections its made. This made me wonder what isn’t showing up when I search for something.
            This time I went to Google and typed in, “who is Shakespeare really”. By adding the word really I got a completely different result list.  One of the links was http://www.urbana.k12.oh.us/699/oh/authorship%20controversy.html. This was a web site that wasn’t trying to persuade me on who to believe wrote Shakespeare’s plays but informed me of why people believed really wrote it and the evidence they use to back up with beliefs. One thing that I thought was interesting was how on his birth certificate his name is spelled like “Shaksper”. Although this is an interesting fact, he is defiantly not the only author who has changed their name, also it talks about how both his parents were illiterate so who would ever teach him how to write his name? There were many facts about the different groups who believe others are the true authors of Shakespeare’s works that I never would have found if I hadn’t taken in to account how the filter bubbles work and it’s very interesting to see the different results.

No comments:

Post a Comment